My friend Lindsay recently bought a fantastic ranch house on a huge lot out in Loxahatchee, and I finally got a chance to mosey on over and check it out. She got a real steal, 3 bedrooms with a dedicated man cave, her own pond, and a screened lanai. The absolute coolest part about her house though is that she lives only a few blocks from Lion Country Safari which is a drive-through tourist trap-y zoo-safari. At night, she can sit outside and listen to the lions roaring. How amazing is that? I just want to pitch a billowy white tent in their yard and come over in khaki with a British accent.
The second coolest thing about their house is (was) this smoky grey chandelier in the dining room. "Love it" I sighed during the house tour, "hate it" Lindsey laughed, and then at the exact moment I was asking quite bluntly if I could have it, she was asking me if I wanted it. I knew I loved her, but this just solidified it. I felt like getting her one of those heart necklaces that says BFF and splits in half, is that too corny for two 30 year olds?
I didn't have a spot in mind for the chandelier, just knew I wanted it, and was giddy when Lindsey called and said she had finally replaced the "eyesore" and that I should come and pick it up. I had been working on a design scheme for the downstairs hallway, and the thought fluttered through my mind, dare I put a chandelier in an otherwise nondescript hallway?  I knew Mike would discourage the idea so I didn't get too attached to it. Then an opportunity presented itself where I knew I had some leverage. With football starting, Mike was basically putty in my hands. He wanted to drink beer and watch the game on Sundays, ignoring all husband/father duties, and I was happy to oblige as long as he did everything and anything I wanted on Saturdays. It's an arrangement that has, for the most part, worked out pretty good for us. So I presented the chandelier-in-the-hallway idea, and with very little resistance and unexpected speed he hung it up (and then requested to go to a friends house on Monday to watch the game, I knew there was something extra in it for him).

Here is the hallway in the middle-ish of the project:


The downstairs bathroom is straight ahead (waiting patiently for it's turn on the remodel)

And here is the hallway as it looks today:


The chandelier adds such drama to an otherwise boring passthrough, I am simply in love. 


Just a shiny bauble that makes me smile


Framed in the hallway are instagram photos of the family in two separate posters, punctuated by my first frame-worthy attempt at type-face art


The opposite side is a chalkboard-painted wall framed out in crown molding. Here it is, still clean and sweet as a virgin:


And one last look at Lindsey's trash turned into my treasure:




One Comment