Last I left you, our living room was still the pit of despair,

 

Mike worked really hard and really noisily re-framing the joists or re-joisting the frame or something like that. It was hard to hear exactly what he was doing over the sound of the skillsaw and nailgun





And now, finally, something resembling a floor!  $300 bucks or so, and a lot of sweat equity later, problem solved


It is now in a presentable state, not fit quite yet for pictures as it is currently the home for wayward furniture and unmatched chairs, but livable all the same.

The room was full on PINE when we bought the house, If you'll remember, this is day 1:

Orange-y, country cabin pine. I had pangs of guilt about painting it. I'm much more about "making it work" so I wanted to make it work, I really did, which is just as much about challenging myself as a (self proclaimed) designer and keeping the integrity and character of a house as it is about pure laziness. In the end, it is a big dark room, and just needed to be painted


We tried to keep the ceiling, thought it would look good if we just did the walls and had this big wood peaked ceiling, a defining moment in the room. A merging of classic and au courant. 







But it did not look good. At all. It looked silly and weird and made a very big room look as short and squat as a hobbit. Back up on the ladders


I'm not sure why I am adding this extremely unflattering picture of myself except to prove (to whom, I'm unsure) that here I am, past 10pm, 1 month postpartum, on a ladder, about to paint the ceiling of our new house. Dedication, I tell you, sacrifice, selflessness. Also perhaps sleep deprived delirium and maybe an oxytocin high


And here it is, painted a cool grey neutral, with a new sturdy subfloor, a blank canvas of possibilities


No regrets


Leave a Reply