The most exciting part about having your first baby is getting to design a nursery (and of course creating life and whatnot) Back in 2010 we found out we were having a girl

I had mixed feelings about it mainly because I was one thousand percent convinced it was a boy and had mentally planned for that. Also, they make some really gawdy crap for little girls, pink, fluffy and precious, and that was just not my style. I wanted a fresh and clean feeling without being obvioulsy or obnoxiously geared toward one gender (I was still thinking that the multiple gender confirming ultrasounds might be wrong and wanted to be prepared.)
I eskewed all things pink as a kid and since (as all parents know) you give birth to a little clone of yourself, I wanted my little girl to be happy in her room. Here is what we came up with:










And in different (daytime) light:



My first baby claiming his spot


This nursery was in Garden Ave, we don't live there anymore, and I miss this room. It had such a serene feeling and was full of promise. Now my baby is a rambunctious 3 year old and there is not much about her that could be described as serene. Designing for kids has proved even more exciting than designing for babies though so I may feel wistful, but not for long.


Leave a Reply